It’s 2019, you’re from New England, and the Patriots have made it to the SuperBowl again. What you do? Super Bowl Party!!! Now allow me to say, I do not watch football (I spent the day in the kitchen binging Friends). Partly because I don’t like investing my emotions into sports, but mainly because of the politics that surround it. But I DO love to eat and I felt like making nachos for the family (me).
I’m what I like to call, a flexitarian. I eat seafood and dairy, but I also have fully plant based days. I haven’t eaten red meat and pork since 2016, and all poultry, etc since 2017. I don’t really miss meat, but sometimes I just want my favorite dishes. Nachos are one of them. I mean honestly, how can you not like nachos? Cheese, meat, salsa, chips and toppings all together!
So I popped open a bag of Gardein Beefless Beef and got busy. Please note: these are soy protein so if you’re not into soy replacements, use these products in moderation. I only use them when I want a treat.
13.7 oz bag Gardein the Ultimate Beefless Crumbles
1 tbsp olive oil
Tostitos Restaurant Style Tortilla Chips
Jalapeno, sliced and deseeded
Cuban Style Black Beans (Trader Joe’s)
1/4 onion minced
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Adobo seasoning
1/2 tsp Chili Powder
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
1/4 Spanish Paprika
Mexican Cheese shredded
Pico De Gallo
1 Plum Tomato, diced
1//4 Red Onion, diced
1/2 tbsp Cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp lime juice
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Heat oil in skillet on medium heat. Add onion and stir until translucent.
3. Add broken up meatless crumbles. Season with cumin, adobo, chili powder, paprika and black pepper. Stir.
4. Add chili beans and 1/4 cup water and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set to the side.
5. Combine tomato, red onion, cilantro, and season with salt, pepper, and lime juice.
6. In a cast iron skillet, layer chips, add meat and beans, pico de Gallo, cheese, and jalapeños. Repeat 2x.
7. Bake for 5-10 minutes or until cheese has melted. Garnish with scallions.
8. Take pics and enjoy! Let me know how it taste.